Metal Gear Rising - How to ACTUALLY parry successfully [Reddit Mirror]

Kippykip

CEO of cancelled
cringge
Code:
Archiving this because reddit banned me for my A.I video.

Hey everyone! Like most people, I couldn't really understand the parry in the tutorial as the game doesn't explain it very well.

So I read up online and found several posts like this:
"Just point the left stick towards the enemy when they flash, then hit X on the 360 controller (or Square on PS)"

But even with that knowledge I couldn't get it to work reliably at all. Maybe 10% of the time I got it to work.

Seems I wasn't the only one though, as many users that asked why it still wasn't working the response was always "You're just bad / Get Good".
Typically shitty 2011-2014 forum responses guys.

Either way I made it past the Monsoon boss, although just barely as that boss has a tonne of parry opportunities and only got it to work a couple times, I ended up using all my health kits.

It was later on in the game when they were rehashing bosses I actually figured it out properly! I parried though AI Monsoon easily and took very little damage throughout the fight.

But here's a couple important notes nobody else seem to be mentioning in the threads:
+You can't parry while in Ninja Mode
This may seem obvious to some players, but for me I was holding RT for most of the playthrough hacking and slashing. But you can't parry at all while holding this button. In the other threads I read, nobody mentioned this.
+You can't parry using the strong attack (Y or Triangle)
At first it felt like I could, but later realised I was just stunning enemies interrupting their attack.
+You don't HOLD the analog stick towards the enemy and press X, you have you let go and flick it.
This is what I was doing wrong in most of my playthrough. Usually I was already circling around the enemies so when one would flash, I would just walk towards them and try hitting X which pretty much never worked.
You HAVE to let go of the analog if you're ALREADY walking towards the enemy so the thumbstick centers, and THEN flick it towards the enemy and press X.

You can kinda get a feel for it and practice by spam-flicking the analog towards the glowing enemy (it is an awkward feel) and then mashing X. You'll notice raiden stops in place and goes in this defence position for like 2 seconds.

So in a nutshell
  • You can't parry while running (Ninja Mode)
  • You can't parry while walking (Let go of the analog quickly then flick it towards the enemy)
Good luck to all those new people that are only playing this game now! (like me)

The game feels waaay easier now, guess I might have to revisit the earlier levels sometime and parry properly.